- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup mung dal (split yellow)
- 6 cups (approx.) water
- 3/4 can coconut milk
- 1/2 to 1 inch ginger root, chopped or grated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp. earth balance or ghee
- 1/2 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds (or powder)
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) (or a little extra salt)
- Handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- 1.5 cups assorted vegetables such as asparagus and sweet potato (optional)
- Wash rice and dal
- Add the 1.5 cups of water to the rice and 4.5 cups to the dal and cook separately covered until they become soft, about 20 minutes.
- While that is cooking, saute any vegetables with olive oil. Cut them into smallish pieces once cooked.
- In a separate saucepan, sauté the cumin and mustard in you choice of butter for about 2 minutes. Then add the other spices and ginger. Stir together to release the flavors.